Posts Tagged: teens
Saturday, May 3 is Free Comic Book Day! Come to the library and get a free comic book. Thanks go out to Orbitron for donating the comics, and to the TAB members for handing them out.
Do you dream of majoring in cartooning, or even make a living in the comics industry? Check out the website of the Center for Cartoon Studies!
To read comic strips and graphic novel excerpts online, check out these links:
Top Shelf Comix - Click on the cover images, and then “Preview” to read excerpts of graphic novels
First Second - Click on the cover images to read excerpts of graphic novels
Comics.com - Dozens of daily comic strips
A big “Thank You” goes out to everybody who submitted their poems to our 11th annual poetry contest! We had a great turn out this year. The winners will be announced next Monday, May 5.
Summer Reading Volunteers
We cannot run our Summer Reading Club without the help of our wonderful volunteers! Volunteer and earn service hours as well as good experience working with kids. Volunteers must register for and attend one Volunteer Orientation session. Register online at www.nileslibrary.org, in person, or call 847-663-6623 starting May 1st.
Teens, share the joy of reading with a child and earn service hours. If you have free time this summer and are in 8th grade or older, you can be a Book Buddy! Buddies read to and listen to children read once a week for an hour. The library provides all materials and training. For more information or to sign up to be a Book Buddy, call Clara at 847-663-6628.
Teens Read @ Starbucks
Friday, April 11th 7-8PM
Take a second bite of the Vampire series to kick off National Library Week! Discuss New Moon by Stephenie Mayer at Starbucks, 1895 Tower Drive, Glenview (the Glen). All teens participating will receive a beverage of their choice and yummy pastries.
(From Ally Carter’s newsletter)
T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST!
It’s official! We’re having a contest for you—the Gallagher Girls and Guys of the world—to design t-shirts to celebrate the books.
If you’d like to try your hand, please read these rules in their entirety. Entries that do not comply with the contest rules will not be considered.
If you have questions regarding the contest rules, please consult a parent, guardian, or teacher. If your parent, guardian, or teacher agrees that your question is not answered by the rules, please email me for clarification at ally (at sign) allycarter.com.
Please DO NOT email questions to the contest entry email address.
Please send your entry, your name, your date of birth, and your email address to AllyCarterContest (at sign) gmail.com by midnight April 21, 2008.
- Entrants must be under 21 years of age on the date that contest entries are due.
- All designs must be original artwork (no clipart, photographs to which you do not own the copyright, etc.).
- All designs must relate to the Gallagher Girl series (either book).
- Designs may use lines or themes from the book, but should not directly copy any cover art elements.
- Collaborative efforts are allowed, but prizes must be shared among the members of the winning team.
- A parent or guardian may assist, but you must do the majority of the work.
- Designs will be judged based on concept, execution, and the ability for the designs to duplicate well.
- Designs must be sent as either pdf or jpeg files. (Entries may be created in any software program or with pen/paper, but files MUST be scanned or saved in either pdf or jpeg format before they are sent to us.)
- You will be submitting designs only—no need to make actual t-shirts. Those will come later.
- You may submit a maximum of TWO entries.
- Designs can be for front, or back, or front and back. Note that preference may be given to designs that are one-sided since they will be less expensive to produce and purchase.
An important note:
The winning design may be used in a number of ways to help promote the Gallagher Girls series. By entering this contest you give up the copyright to your artwork (meaning you can’t sue us if we use it because…well…using it is kind of the purpose.)
If you’ve read and understood these rules and feel up to a challenge, then start designing!
The winner will receive a great prize (to be announced later).
The winning design will be featured on t-shirts (and possibly other merchandise) that will be sold on cafepress.com.
All proceeds from t-shirt sales will be used for prizes for future contests on AllyCarter.com.
Thanks, and good luck!